15 49.0138 8.38624 1 0 4000 1 https://beopeo.com 300 0

After her baby died from ingesting a button battery, her mother issued a warning to other parents.

Trista Hamsmith noticed her daughter, Reese, was wheezing on October 31. Hamsmith brought Reese to the doctor, thinking she had a cold, and the doctor diagnosed the baby with croup, an infection of the upper airway that is prevalent in children, according to the Mayo Clinic.

The family went home with the kid the next day, only to discover the device’s ’service’s button battery was stolen from a device used to locate a remote.

Reese to the emergency department by Hamsmith, who suspected her daughter had eaten the tiny battery.

The mother told FOX Television Stations, “They did an X-ray and proved it was in there within like 30 minutes.”

A later CT scan revealed that Reese had a hole in her oesophagus and trachea, according to Hamsmith.

Reese spent the following few weeks in and out of doctors’ offices and hospitals, undergoing treatment for her symptoms and inflammation. However, the little girl’s condition did not improve.

She passed away on December 17, 2020.

“The autopsy report showed difficulties from ingesting a button battery,” Hamsmith added.

“She was a firecracker,” “his mother said of her daughter. “Spunky. Sassy. The room was filled with light. When she went into a room, she could see that everyone was staring at her.”

She went on to say, “It hasn’t been easy.” “There are several tears and breakdowns. There was a lot of leaning towards the Lord.”

The mother now wants new rules and safety measures enacted to prevent anything like what happened to Reese from occurring to future children.

“I don’t want this to happen to other families or children,” she expressed her concern.

Hamsmith is pushing for legislation to impose screws on devices with button battery chambers, according to her. She also wants companies to produce batteries that are less toxic if consumed.

Suppose parents suspect their child has swallowed a battery. In that case, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends rushing the child to the emergency room and giving two teaspoons of honey to a child who has ingested a button battery within the previous 12 hours, as long as the child is over the age of 12 months and can swallow liquids.